Monday, March 3, 2008

Grácia Day

This morning I was trying to snooze through my alarm clock when a parade decided to go down my street, pelting people with candy. Apparently it's some saint's day and they only celebrate it in my neighborhood. And by celebrate I mean throw candy at innocent bystanders while riding by on horses and playing drums.

Overall, it's pretty amusing because there are piles of multicolored candy everywhere (there seems to be only one supplier who just makes run-of-the-mill hard candies in colored wrappers) and everyone's shoes stick to the ground for the rest of the day because of all the sugar melted to the street. I thought this festival was more of a morning thing (just to wake up the citizens of Grácia) but it's currently 8:30pm and it seems to be the climax of the parade (more horses and music, more cheering, etc.).

Today I decided to take a stand against unemployment and tried to get a job as a babysitter/English teacher for this really adorable family who lives near me. It works perfectly with my schedule and I really like the kids, but Barcelona hates me (based on how, during my apartment hunt, I'm apparently the last person anyone wants in their house). I find out by tomorrow morning if I got it. I may have won some points by being named Hillary, though, because the 8 year-old boy loves Hilary Duff.

No comments: