Sunday, February 3, 2008

Carnival

I went back to Cádiz for carnival this weekend. Carnival was really cool, they wear these really bizarre disguises and you and your friends are supposed to have matching costumes. They find it hilarious for men to dress as women. ESPECIALLY if fake breasts are involved.

Initially, I felt like a little kid in a candy shop - going back to Cádiz was fun and it made me pretty nostalgic for summer. But, by the middle of the night (our train back wasn't until 5am) I felt like I was in some sort of apocalyptic disaster where everyone had whistles and noise-makers. As someone who was raised in an essentially noise-free household (my mom hates sound), I wasn't doing too well with the noises. Also, as the Spaniards got drunker, the men who are typically pretty respectful adopted tendencies of the average construction worker without the consequences of being maced/sued.

We went back to the Residencia a few times to visit it and use the bathroom, and were considering taking a picture inside when we were asked to leave. The doorman recognized us as people who don't live there. At this point, I was ready to go back to Barcelona. I had fun, but it's nice to be back.

No comments: