Friday, February 1, 2008

Hostel Life

For the first time in my Euro-tripping experience I'm staying in a real, live Hostel. Up to this point, we've gotten by with budget hotels and bumming off our friends who live in the cities we visit.

Right now I'm in Sevilla getting ready to go back to Cadiz for carnival on Saturday and we're staying in this hostel I found online. Last night, it took me about three hours to fall asleep since my bed was right next to the door and I could hear every conversation happening in the lobby. By the time I managed to pass out, someone tried to bang down the door so I had to get up and let them in. Turns out, this British guy had shown up around 1 in the morning and wanted a room so they stuck him with us. After seeing what the setup would be (Joanna, him and me) he went back into the lobby to complain. I listened to him tell the hostel worker how "unpleased" I looked to see him, and argue his way into a different room.

Meanwhile, Joanna ran around the room stuffing her things into her suitcase and locking it, sure that this guy was going to steal all of her valuables and make a run for the border. This morning when we woke up, he wasn't in our room because he had moved upstairs. We got to eat breakfast with him, though, which could have been potentially awkward but it turns out his friend was in another room so he had an actual reason for wanting to switch.

Some good things about hostel life:

- FREE coffee machine

- Cheap

- Comfy beds

Some bad things about hostel life:

- No hot water in the sink in our room

- One shower/toilet for about 20 people

- Korean girls who run into your room in the middle of the night screaming and looking for other Korean girls. They also do their laundry in the sink of the bathroom that everyone has to use.

All in all, it's great.

No comments: