Monday, September 3, 2007

Decaf Coffee

This morning I woke up at 8 (clearly a miracle of nature) even though I didn't fall asleep until past 3am since my body has convinced itself that bedtime isn't until 6am (probably a side-effect of going out five nights in a row).

I made my way downstairs, then through the really awful breakfast line - where all the give you is a burnt, greasy croissant and an empty coffee cup - and went over to the coffee machine. I pushed the red coffee button and nothing happened. I then pushed every other red button on the machine and started freaking out. I found Ursula, our awkward student program director, and explained that the coffee machine "no funciona." She pushed the blue buttons (which I've always stayed the hell away from since the person who taught me how to use the machine told me to go for the red) and coffee came out!

She asked me what I had been pushing and I pointed to the red buttons (stupid vow of Spanish). Turns out, I've managed to "kick Ursula's biggest habit!!!" (I hate Ursula) by drinking decaf every day. She stood there talking about coffee forever, and all I could do was smile in nod since my obscure, European coffee machine vocab isn't up to par.

No wonder I can barely stay awake in class regardless of how much coffee I drink in the morning. I just assumed it was really cheap because the rest of the food is so bad.

I miss good food. And Zoe. See below: