Friday, September 7, 2007

Yael

On one of the first days of culture class in Cádiz, this girl with water splashed all over her face came up to me singing "Kiss" by Prince as she got closer. Since I've historically never been a huge fan of people invading my personal space bubble, this small, wet, Prince-emitting girl immediately became someone on my shit list. But, after spending the last couple months together, she's really grown on me. Things that I initially interpreted as slightly creepy I now find charming and hilarious; whenever I go to the bathroom in the class we have together, I come back to find something I own vandalized (my name tag now reads "Hillary '08").

A couple weeks ago, we went on a class field trip to Pedrables, one of the buildings Gaudí designed, with huge statues on the roof. We were standing on the roof enjoying the view of the city when a man came up to us and asked if we thought "she" was okay as he pointed to someone rubbing their body up and down one of the tile shapes. As we got closer we realized that it was Yael, eyes closed, really getting to know the statue:


When we left Cádiz, most of Yael's friends ended up going to Granada or Madrid, so she wasn't too stoked on Barcelona. Once she figured out there was an alternative school in the mountains she had not signed up for, she was even less stoked.

Last night, I was in someone's room in the Residencia and a guy from our program came in, gloating about an apartment he had found. Turns out, he had gone with Yael to look at a place (after she has made multiple charts, spent days looking for places, and convinced our Catalán teacher that she would be a great roomie if she really can't find anything by our kick-out-of-the-residencia date) and decided that he wanted it for herself and essentially stole it from her.

The worst part of this was everyone defending him in discussions about this (based on the fact that Yael gets sick when she drinks so she doesn't drink often, so she wouldn't fit in with the "cool" roommates that come with the apartment). What kind of sick person can be mean to someone who loves everything (including statues)?

1 comment:

Man said...

hi hillary its your former roommate edward (i hope you remember me.) i hope you are having divertido. hehe i like reading your blog, its funny.

p.s. did the magazine you work at die? i was reading my favorite gossip blogs and there was a post about it (i think this is your magazine at least.)

http://gawker.com/news/departures/business-20-finally-dead-296417.php