Sunday, August 12, 2007

Plaza De Las Flores


Joanna playing in the electric car in front of the Fried Food Restaurant. When you walk by these cars on your way home from the bars there are always little kids in them, having the time of their lives, even at 4 AM.

A week ago, my culture professor told us which restaurants in Cádiz were worth our while. Since it's the weekend and the comedor is closed, I decided to try this fish-frying restaurant close to the residencia. I got there, waited in line for a really long time, kept being asked if I was the last one in line, saying yes, getting cut in front of, etc. I finally got to the front and the shrimp I wanted (basically there's a large vat of every kind of fish fried but it goes fast) was out, so I had to wait a while so they could make more. Eventually, I got a quarter kilo of fried calamari and shrimp wrapped in butcher paper and went and ate it by the residencia so other people could get sandwiches - for some reason no one else wanted to eat that much fried food.

I got through a lot of the calamari and a couple shrimp (eyes still attached, I'm such a trooper) until I started to feel really uncomfortably full and sick. Although i'm a little disappointed in myself for not eating the entire quarter kilo (costs less than 5 euro) of fried food, I definitely did better than I would have a month ago. If I keep eating fried food for at least 2 meals a day, I may someday work up to the entire serving of fish. It shouldn't be hard since the only place you can get food that isn't fried (such as a salad) is at McDonald's which is on the other side of Cádiz, and it's extremely expensive.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

wow thanks. really, thanks again.

Matt said...

JOANNA IS MY HERO