Friday, August 3, 2007

Why am I so good at mornings?

Yesterday I woke up to doors slamming in my Residencia. I glanced at the clock to note the time, so I could later relay how outrageous this early-morning slamming really was. But it wasn't early. I was supposed to be downstairs eating breakfast. My alarm was still set to "on," but it hadn't gone off. I checked to see if it was set to the right time, and realized that, due to my new relationship with military time, I had completely forgotten the concept of 12 hour clocks, and set my alarm for 8 PM. Luckily, I made it on time.

Last night, I checked my alarm four times. I made Joanna promise to call me if I wasn't downstairs by breakfast, even though she hates using her minutes. This morning, my room phone rang around 7:40. I rushed over, picked it up, but no-one was there. Obviously, they were trying to contact me for holding up the buses. Still guilty for being late when the program started a couple weeks ago, I threw on the first thing I could find, grabbed my towel and my purse and sprinted downstairs. After 4 flights, I realized that my alarm hadn't gone off because it was set to 8. And my alarm was set to 8 because we were meeting at 9. And my room key was still in my room. I walked down the last flight, to the front desk. According to the sign, they open at 9. I gave myself a quick once-over: my mouth tasted disgusting, I had to pee, I had managed to select a shirt that had grease stains on it, and I really wanted to get back in bed. I walked into the Comedor, and Inma, our program director/mom was sitting there eating by herself. Now, I have no idea why this woman woke up so early, but I explained to her in broken Spanish what had happened and she told me the maids should be here soon and they could let me into my room, but I should eat while I wait. In the long run, it all worked out. Joanna even called me at 8:30 when I was upstairs picking out clothes that weren't covered in grease, and I got to go back to sleep on the bus. Too bad I don't have anything to wake up for tomorrow morning and get to sleep all day.

No comments: