Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sants: For Virgie


This post is dedicated to Virgie "Rookie Night" Poole.

Last night, Joanna's friend Steve was visiting Barcelona from London so we used him as an excuse to go out to dinner and try to do fun things. First, we took the metro to Las Ramblas - the "main street" in Barcelona - and got dinner at a Tapas place that might be a chain (Tapa Tapa). We ordered a pitcher of Sangria, and on the second glass, Joanna literally punched her glass all over the table reaching to show me something. We ended up going through two pitchers between the four of us, then drunkenly watching mice playing in a tree next to our table. Instead of being revolted by how arguably unhygenic rodents are, we thought they were the cutest things ever.

At one point, I went downstairs to go to the bathroom. When I came out of the stall, this woman in the other stall opened the door for a second, glanced at me, and then slammed herself back into the stall. My initial reaction was: "Oh God, this woman wants to have sex in the bathroom and thought I was her boyfriend. Awkward." I decided to really pace myself washing my hands to force an awkward interaction when she came out. After a couple minutes, she came out - wearing short-shorts and straw wedges - and crept into my stall, obviously looking for toilet paper, which I had just used the last of. She then crept to the men's bathroom, and ended up rushing in there and stealing some. The entire thing was way more comical than it should have been because her wedges were so tall, so she was standing really oddly.

After dinner, we went to a street festival in Sants. They have a lot of neighborhood street festivals here, where they intricately decorate the streets, and then party for a week. By the time we got there, it was getting toward the end of the festival and there was just a huge drum circle, but everyone was dancing and drinking (no open container laws) in the street, and I now feel a lot closer to Barcelona culture and miss Cádiz a lot less.

Sorry Virgie, no scandals, I'll try again later.

No comments: