Sunday, December 2, 2007

Things That Piss Me Off

Since I've been in Spain for a few months now, the initial novelty of the country is wearing off and I've re-acquired my ability to be pissed off at things. So, without further ado, here are some things that piss me off:


SingStar I was just catching up on the latest episode of The Real World on MTV Overdrive (since nbc.com and abc.com don't work in Europe - and the writers are all on strike anyway) and was being forced to watch commercials that only really apply to people in the United States. I was already in a bad enough mood because my internet was being tempramental and refused to show me The Real World, and then I had to watch a commercial for this new Playstation 2 game called SingStar. The premise of this game: guitar hero with singing. And no guitars. I already don't like listening to most the people I know sing in general, and now there's a game that actually encourages people to competitively sing for points. Stupid.


Café Con Leche In Spain, they use espresso instead of real coffee when you get coffee drinks. What seems to be the largest option is a café con leche - literally a sip of coffee with some milk in it. Initially, I fell in love with those little guys. You can throw back about 10 a day and still fall asleep at night, but somehow maintain alertness. You can buy them from vending machines (40 cents) or restaurants (about a euro), but lately I've been craving a huge black coffee that I can carry around and sip at while studying and running errands. The option is still here since there's a Starbucks on every corner, but that's not the European way.


The Metro I'm sick of being forced to physically touch an old man on the crowded metro just because I want to get home. Enough said.

Midterms Although we have midterms back at Davis (and they do piss me off there, too), at least you are given about 10 sample midterms and the teacher tells you exactly what is expected of you. Here, they just announce that you will have a test, you should write in pen, and there's gonna be stuff on it. They won't tell you what kind of stuff (e.g. if the random questions everyone asks which determine the lecture also determine the test), and they don't even give you grades, but instead each teacher seems to have their own number system (usually 10 point scale, but a 3 point scale in some cases) so you actually have no idea how you did.


Ross I just found out today that I'm not tagged in Ross' blog (rosserichards.blogspot.com) even though some of our other friends are. I'm at the end of my rope.

Glad I got all that off my chest. 14 more days until I come home and drink massive amounts of real coffee.

1 comment:

eduardoelsalvaje said...

I read the last two sentences mixed as "Glad I got that off my massive chest." Just thought you'd like to know.