Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Cadiz

I just got to Cadiz last night, and we went on this semi-brutal walking tour to see the whole town. It was only brutal because my feet hurt from lugging my backpack around trying to find the residencia for the university. After that, we had dinner and showered, and then went to a cafe which served beer and ice cream only, next to where we are staying. So far, I've made friends with a few people on the trip, and they all seem really nice.

Halfway through the day today, one of the program coordinators pulled me aside and told me that I owe the main director an apology for all my difficulties with getting here. I don't really understand this, since I was the one crying in airports by myself, but apologized anyway. She was oddly unreceptive to my apology and is still mad at me (I think?).

We went over to the Universidad de Cadiz to take placement tests and they had a little party for us where we met some local students who told us all the stereotypes they knew about Americans (we hate ham, we drink too much, we love Burger King more than life itself, etc.) and fed us some wine (gross, sweet white wine which they told us to be careful with because we would get super-drunk even though we were barely buzzed after five glasses), and massive amounts of ham. They really like ham here.

No comments: