Monday, July 23, 2007

Sfera

When I thought my luggage was never going to get here and bought a bunch of clothes, I just threw them in a drawer when I got home and didn't look at some of them until a couple days ago. I realized that one of the shirts still had the "I will break your clothes and set of detectors" device attached which is probably why the alarm went off when I left the store. I decided to go back to Sfera today and have them remove it.

On the way there, I stopped by the SuperSol, which is basically a really small market that has a plethora of olives and limited amounts of everything else. There's a security guard who works there whom I was chatting up a couple days ago when my friend Joanna was walking around touching everything while I waited outside. (Only me "chatting him up" sounded more like I was just practicing Spanish I had just learned - asking riveting questions like "Where is the nearest bookstore?" "Where can I buy a towel," etc.) As I walked into the SuperSol, my shirt (which I had just been stuffing in my purse) set off their security detectors. I took the shirt out and showed it to the guard who forced me to put it in a locker after explaining that I have to take it back to the store where I bought it, that they don't take them off here. I kept trying to tell him I was on my way to Sfera anyway but he kept saying really slowly and deliberately what it was. On my way out of the store, I went to get the shirt out of the locker and couldn't get it to open, so he had to come help me. As he was turning the key with absolutely no effort whatsoever, I said "Soy muy inteligente" to myself and he laughed at me.

I walked down the street to Sfera, and the second I walked in the door, it set off the alarm and the saleswoman came running up to me. I pulled the shirt out of my bag (shopping back that I bought it in, not my purse) and said "I bought this here - " and she grabbed it from me and showed me the detector and started explaining it to me. As though I have no idea why this shirt I'm carrying around - for no apparent reason - keeps setting off detectors everywhere I go. So she quickly ran to take the detector off, and as I followed her, Joanna was falling down in the doorway slipping on water that had been dripping from the ceiling. We probably can't go back there anymore, but it doesn't matter because becoming best friends with the security guard at SuperSol is really time consuming anyway.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I'm just glad I could be there.